Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Dehydration in progress

I have spent the last few days dehydrating food in a special food drying machine and then vacuum packing it so we can eat wholesome meals while trekking our little hearts out. I have never been this organised! It beats the time when I brought fresh veges and even salad on a New Zealand hike. People were absolutely baffled when I brought my food out but then again I didn't bother bringing a stove so I just ate raw veges.. Laziness manifests itself in me in the strangest of ways.
I think we will have more food than anyone else on the entire track. It doesn't matter how much we downsize our packs, we always end up with too much stuff. John, the gear crazy rich machine has to bring two compasses, wilderness first aid kit (that I must admit is pretty smart, my kit usually consists of one band-aid), epirb and gps, extra maps and it wouldn't surprise me if he went out and bought a satellite phone! PLUS about 2 kilos of disgusting creatine bars and power gels. He's the only person on the Occupational Health and Safety board of this household and he takes it very seriously.

So the trek we are doing is the Overland in Cradle Mountin National Park, Tasmania. Last time I did it was in 1997. The weather was awful the entire time and we got no views whatsoever! This time however I am hoping we'll get views like this one..


Aaahhhhh! This is life! Now, we'll see what we do get.. I'll post the photos in a week when we get back.

No comments: